Frequently Asked Questions:
Where do I find the Prep instructions? Please click HERE for Prep Instructions.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COLONOSCOPY PREP DAY
Clear Liquid Diet
- Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day to prevent dehydration.
- NO milk or dairy, nothing with pulp (i.e.: orange juice, vegetable juice), nothing red/dark blue/dark purple. Any other liquid is OK
- Liquids containing sugar can help prevent low blood sugar and a weak, shaky feeling – sports drinks, regular soda, juice, Jell-O, popsicles, sweet tea, lemonade, kool-aid etc.
- Occasional caffeinated drink can help prevent head aches – coffee (no creamer), tea, soda etc.
- Warm liquids can help you feel full – coffee, hot tea, broth
- Carbonated drinks can help you feel full.
- Jell-O can help you feel full
Drinking the Prep
- Powdered drink mix (i.e.: Crystal Light) can be added to each glass of prep to give you a variety of flavors (NO red dye). Add right before drinking the glass of prep.
- Drinking prep with a straw can make drinking the volume easier.
- You can chase the prep with a clear liquid of your choice (i.e.: few swallows of prep then a few swallows of soda or juice)
- You can suck on a popsicle while drinking your prep (orange and green are ok, no red/dark blue/dark purple)
- If you start to feel nauseated, slow down and take a little break. Try drinking again in 10-15 minutes.
Effects of the Prep
- You will have watery diarrhea after drinking the prep, so being prepared is very helpful.
- Try using toilet paper for sensitive skin (containing Vitamin E and Aloe)
- Try using flushable personal wipes to clean after bowel movements. Be sure you get your skin dry after using these to prevent skin irritation.
- If your skin becomes sore, soak in a warm bathtub after cleansing
- If you skin becomes sore/irritated, try applying Vaseline or A&D baby ointment (non medicated)